Going back to school is stressful for everyone, why not have some tips on how to ease that experience?!
1. Make sure you have everything prepared- make sure to have everything ready to go, at least, the week before classes start. That means, having all your supplies, books and anything else you may need!
2. Learn breathing techniques- learning the following breathing techniques before you start classes will help a lot when the stressful exams start and you need to study for multiple hours. These breathing techniques not only help with high stress levels but can also make you more energetic and ready to go.
a) Inhale and exhale rapidly through your nose, keeping your mouth closed but relaxed. Your breaths in and out should be equal in duration, but as short as possible. This is a noisy breathing exercise.
• Try for three in-and-out breath cycles per second. This produces a quick movement of the diaphragm, suggesting a bellows. Breathe normally after each cycle.
b) The 4-7-8 Technique, exhale completely through your mouth, making a “Ha” sound.
• Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
• Hold your breath for a count of seven.
• Exhale completely through your mouth, making a “Ha” sound to a count of eight.
• This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
3. Drink more water- As cliché as this sounds, drinking more water everyday will make you happier, healthier and looking better than ever!
4. Exercise- Exercising is recognized by the brain as a moment of stress. Your heart rate increases and your body goes into “fight or flight” mode. To protect yourself from this stress, BDNF is released, Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, which protects and repairs memory neurons. This causes you to be happier after you exercise. Endorphins, another chemical released while exercising, also combats stress.
5. Journal- Even if this sounds silly to you, it really does work. Journaling not only lets you write out everything you are feeling instead of taking it out on someone you know but it also is a way to forget. Take a look at these tips to get you started on journaling;
a) Journal every night before be.
b) On the first page write goals you want to accomplish- This way you see your goals every day when you open your journal.
c) Write a whole page of confidence boosters- When you are having a tough time, these are good to look back at and realize that you can overcome anything.
d) Forget it- When you are done journaling for the night and close your journal, forget everything you wrote. Think of it this way, you close the journal and it’s gone.
6. Sign yourself up for monthly massages or facials- Nothing is better than knowing you have a massage or facial every month to look forward to! Your stress from school will melt away every month with your service.